Avocados are bursting with of other health benefits too, and are so strongly associated with fertility and aphrodisiacs that the Aztecs would lock up virgin daughters during avocado harvest time to keep them safe. Read the details and check out the infographic below on this Powerfood.
“Either you run the day, or the day runs you. Or you eat guacamole.” John Rohn
10 Avocado Benefits
1. Nutrient-dense fruit
Yes, they are actually a large berry with one seed. One avocado contains approximately 1/3 of the daily requirement of vitamin K and folate, lots of pantothenic acid, vitamin B6 and vitamin C.
Avocado has twice the potassium of a banana. It also contains vitamin E, niacin, and riboflavin. That is definitely nutrient-dense!
2. A Source of Healthy Fat
They help increase good cholesterol. Avocados are full of fat, but adding avocados to the diet can increase HDL and decrease triglycerides.
3. Help Cure Cancer
The glutathione found in avocados has been found to help prevent some kinds of cancers.
4. Excellent as a First Baby Food
Dr. William Sears puts it as #1 on the top ten list of fruits for babies because avocado nutrition is well-suited for a baby’s growing development.
5. Stabilize Blood Sugar Levels
Avocado slows digestion which keeps blood sugar from spiking after a meal.
6. Avocados Can Protect Unborn Babies
One avocado provides one third of your recommended daily intake of folate, which helps form a baby’s brain and nervous system. The USDA recommends avocados as one of the best sources for some of the nutrients needed when pregnant.
7. Improve Eyesight
The high amount of lutein and zeaxanthin in avocados can protect your eyes from age-related macular degeneration and improve your vision. One ounce of avocado contains 81 micrograms of lutein.
8. Have Low Pesticide Levels
“Avocados were the cleanest: only 1 percent of avocado samples showed any detectable pesticides.“ The thick skin of the avocado protects it from absorbing pesticides.
9. Help With Weight Loss
It was found that those who ate half of a fresh avocado with their lunch had a 40 percent less desire to eat for 3 hours after lunch, and a 28 percent less desire to eat 5 hours after as compared with those who ate lunch with no avocado.
10. Good for Sexual Health and Fertility
They are rich in Vitamin B6 and folic acid which regulate sexual hormone functions. Also, vitamin B6 and potassium boost testosterone production in males. Rich, heart healthy fats keep your heart beating strong making sure that blood is flowing to the right places.
Perhaps those Spanish priests were on to something when they banned their parishioners from eating avocados. Avocados were a fertility fruit for the Aztecs and used as an aphrodisiac by the Mayans. Old folklore mentions the Aztecs would lock up virgin daughters during avocado harvest time to keep them safe from farmers who may be sexually-aroused from eating too many avocados.
Bonus: Great for Beauty Treatments
The glutamine amino acid in avocados helps cleanse your skin and offers it enough protection against harsh environmental factors. D-manno-heptulose found in avocados has been shown to boost collagen formation. Their specific amino acids and carotenoid anti-oxidants can help reduce age spots and heal scars and burns.
- An avocado can weight from 8 ounces to 3 pounds depending upon the variety.
- Almost 50 million pounds of avocados are consumed on Super Bowl Sunday in the U.S. Holy guacamole!
- Avocado pits yield a milky fluid that turns red when exposed to air. The Spanish conquistadors used this ink in documents that are preserved to this day.
- A postman, Rudolph Hass, patented the Hass avocado tree in 1935. The first Hass avocado tree is still producing.
- Avocado became known as the ‘alligator pear’ because of its alligator type skin texture and pear shape.
- Mexico produces the most avocados, California the second most.
Take a look at this avocado infographic, a colorful way to highlight everything the avocado has to offer!
By Diana Herrington
Would feeling fantastic every day make a difference in your life? Healthy Highway is a Healthy Lifestyle Company offering Lifestyle Solutions for a Happy Healthy You! We help people who are…
- Wanting Work Life Balance.
- Needing Stress Relief.
- Concerned about their health and the environment.
- Frustrated battling allergies to gluten, foods, dust, chemicals, pollen.
- Overwhelmed with choosing the best products for their body, home, and office.
- Unsatisfied with their relationships with the men and women in their life and are ready to transform them into satisfying, happy partnerships.
- Standing at a Career Crossroad.
- Preparing to start a family and want a healthy baby.
- Seeking solutions for aging, more energy, and a good night’s sleep!
Are any of these an issue or problem for you? Would it make sense for us to spend several minutes together to discuss your needs and how HealthyHighway can meet them? As a Healthy Lifestyle Coach with an emphasis on allergies and wellness, Leesa teaches her clients to make informed choices and enables them to make needed changes for a Happy Healthy Lifestyle. What you eat, what products you use ~ on your body and in your home and office, how you talk to yourself ~ it all matters!
I look forward to helping YOU Live a Happy Healthy Life! Remember, Excellent Health is found along your way, not just at your destination.
Leesa A. Wheeler
Member International Health Coach Association
ring ~ 770-393-1284
write ~ firstname.lastname@example.org
visit ~ www.healthyighway.org
consult/coach ~ www.healthyhighway.org/contact.html
join our mailing list ~ www.healthyhighway.org
chews ~ www.chews4health.com/Leesa
enjoy ~ www.chewcolat.com
follow ~ www.twitter.com/HealthyHighway
learn ~ www.healthyhighway.wordpress.com
join ~ www.google.com/+LeesaWheeler
skpe ~ healthyhighway