1. Apples. It’s best to keep the skin on apples when you feed your dog this treat. Apple skins contain phytonutrients that some believe can shield against some types of cancer in humans. Apples are rich in vitamins A and C and fiber. Watch out for apple seeds, though, as they contain cyanide. Bernadine Cruz, DVM, a veterinarian at Laguna Hills Animal Hospital in Laguna Hills, California, recommends fruit like apples for overweight dogs.
2. Peanut butter. A great source of added protein and fiber. Avoid sharing large gobs of the stuff, as it is tough to chew and swallow. A tablespoon on their dry food or letting them lick a swab off your finger is best.
3. Yogurt. This treat is loaded with calcium and protein. Make sure the yogurt has live active bacteria and no sugars or artificial sweeteners. If your dog is overweight, opt for fat-free yogurts, so long as they don’t have fat substitutes—like Simplesse or Olestra.
4. Popcorn. Air popped and sans butter or salt. Popcorn is packed with potassium, as well phosphorous, magnesium, and calcium, which promote bone health. When offering a handful, especially toward the bottom of the bowl, take out any “old maids.”
5. Watermelon. Share sparingly, as this snack is loaded with sugar, which will add to your dog’s weight. Remember to remove the seeds. And serve outdoors to prepare for a quick potty run, since watermelon is filled with water and fiber.
6. Salmon. This fish is loaded with omega-3 fatty acids, which can help your dog’s immune system and keep his skin and coat healthy. Make sure your salmon is cooked before giving your dog a taste, since raw salmon can contain a parasite that can make your dog sick.
Doggie No No’s
On the other side, there are certain people foods you should not share with your dog. According to the ASPCA, these include chocolate, Macadamia nuts and avocados, which can cause a number of serious health complications. The same holds true for grapes and raisins, which can cause kidney failure. And keep your dogs away from milk, which can cause diarrhea and other digestive problems. For a complete list of what not to feed your dog, check out ASPCA’s People Foods to Avoid Feeding Your Pets.
Leesa recommends all the people food you feed you pet be organic! My Ava also loves steamed organic broccoli!
Would feeling fantastic every day make a difference in your life? Healthy Highway is a Healthy Lifestyle Company offering Lifestyle Solutions for a Happy Healthy You! We help people who are…
- Wanting Work Life Balance.
- Needing Stress Relief.
- Concerned about their health and the environment.
- Frustrated battling allergies to gluten, foods, dust, chemicals, pollen.
- Overwhelmed with choosing the best products for their body, home, and office.
- Unsatisfied with their relationships with the men and women in their life and are ready to transform them into satisfying, happy partnerships.
- Standing at a Career Crossroad.
- Preparing to start a family and want a healthy baby.
- Seeking solutions for aging, more energy, and a good night’s sleep!
Are any of these an issue or problem for you? Would it make sense for us to spend several minutes together to discuss your needs and how HealthyHighway can meet them? As a Healthy Lifestyle Coach with an emphasis on allergies and wellness, Leesa teaches her clients to make informed choices and enables them to make needed changes for a Happy Healthy Lifestyle. What you eat, what products you use ~ on your body and in your home and office, how you talk to yourself ~ it all matters!
I look forward to helping YOU Live a Happy Healthy Life! Remember, Excellent Health is found along your way, not just at your destination.
Leesa A. Wheeler
Member International Health Coach Association
ring ~ 770-393-1284
write ~ firstname.lastname@example.org
visit ~ www.healthyighway.org
coach, consult, contact ~ www.healthyhighway.org/contact.html
(Don’t live in Atlanta? Not a problem! We do virtual coaching worldwide!)
join our mailing list ~ www.healthyhighway.org
chcws ~ www.chews4health.com/Leesa
enjoy ~ www.chewcolat.com
follow ~ www.twitter.com/HealthyHighway
learn ~ www.healthyhighway.wordpress.com
join ~ www.google.com/+LeesaWheeler
skpe ~ healthyhighway