That said, clinical depression sucks, and if you’re someone who suffers from it, my heart goes out to you. I’m in no way intending to diss anti-depressants or suggest you ignore your doctor’s advice. I know anti-depressants can be life-saving for people. But unless you’re suicidal or otherwise in dire need of urgent medication, before you dose up on side-effect laden pharmaceuticals, it’s worth considering some natural treatments that might help lift your mood.
How To Treat Depression Naturally
1. Consider why you might feel depressed. Sometimes depression is a symptom of something circumstantial in your life, rather than biochemical imbalances. Does your job require you to sell out your integrity every day? Have you been unable to admit that you need to end your marriage? Are you feeling spiritually disconnected or sexually restless? Are you suffering from creative blocks? Is your body failing you? Are you facing financial ruin? Be honest with yourself about what might be off-kilter in your life, and make an effort to get to the root of why you might be feeling depressed.
3. Never skip a meal. Keeping your blood sugar stable reduces mood swings.
4. Eat a serotonin-enhancing diet. Many anti-depressants like Prozac act by inhibiting the reuptake of serotonin by receptors in the brain, thereby increasing serotonin levels. But you can increase your brain’s serotonin levels by eating foods that boost your serotonin levels naturally.
Serotonin-enhancing foods include:
- Foods high in omega-3 fatty acids (such as wild salmon, sardines, herring, mackerel, and anchovies, which are even higher in omega-3 fatty acids than other fish)
- Healthy fats like coconut oil
- Eat a high protein diet, especially proteins high in tryptophan, like free range turkey
5. Avoid caffeine, which reduces serotonin levels. If you need an energy boost, supplement with L-Tyrosine (500 – 1000 mg).
6. Expose yourself to sunlight, which can boost mood and increase Vitamin D levels. If you live somewhere that gets little sun, invest in a therapeutic light box.
7. Try mood-enhancing supplements: (DISCLAIMER: Although you can get these supplements over the counter, I always recommend doing this under the care of a physician, since supplements can have side effects and risks and can interact with other medications.)
- 5-HTP 50-300 mg up to three times/day — start at 50mg in the morning. Converts directly into serotonin. If you are taking too much, you will feel sleepy or have runny stools. Also usually helps with anxiety, although sometimes it can paradoxically cause anxiety. Must use with great caution if you’re taking an anti-depressant.
- St. John’s Wort 300mg three times/day. If you don’t feel better within a week, slowly increase your dose to a max of 600mg three times/day. May decrease the effectiveness of birth control pills.
- SAMe 200mg on an empty stomach twice/day. Increase your dose every two weeks to a maximum dose of 600mg twice daily. This can be a very effective antidepressant, but it can also be expensive. Side effects at higher doses include GI upset, nausea, agitation, and insomnia.
- L-Theanine 100-600mg daily. Reduce if you feel sleepy. Found in green tea.
- Fish oil (DHA/EPA) 1-3 g/day with food.
8. Meditate or try guided imagery. Meditation’s effects on mood are well documented. Settling your mind can lift your mood, in addition to a whole host of other health benefits.
9. Get your hormones balanced. If your thyroid, adrenal or sex hormones are out of whack, your mood can get all wonky. See a good integrative medicine doctor and ask them to order and interpret the following tests:
- Thyroid gland tests – TSH, free T4, free T3, total T3, thyroid antibodies
- Adrenal gland tests – cortisol, DHEA-S, pregnenolone
- Sex hormone tests – estradiol, progesterone, free and total testosterone
10. Make efforts to bolster your mental health by being more authentic in all aspects of your life. Too often, we walk around wearing masks, pretending to be something we’re not. We fake it at the schoolyard, in the boardroom, in the bedroom, at church — and then we wonder why we wind up depressed. Practice letting your authentic freak flag fly and watch how your mood lifts.
11. Talk it out. See a therapist, psychiatrist, or life coach and express how you feel. Sometimes just finding someone you trust who will help you work through your feelings can make all the difference in the world.
If all else fails and you need anti-depressants, don’t beat yourself up. Sometimes you can do everything right, and if your imbalance is biochemical, you may need the drugs. But don’t forget to nurture the rest of you too. Depression, like most physical and mental illnesses, is multifactorial and requires a global investigation of your whole health — not just your mind and body, but your relationships, your work, your financial picture, how you express yourself creatively, how you satisfy yourself sexually, your environment, and whether you’re letting your Inner Pilot Light (aka authentic self) shine.
Unsure whether you’re really depressed or just in need of a vitality boost? Read this!
By Lissa Rankin, MD
Would feeling fantastic every day make a difference in your life?
Healthy Highway is a Healthy Lifestyle Company offering Lifestyle Solutions for a Happy Healthy You! We help people who are…
- Wanting Work Life Balance.
- Needing Stress Relief.
- Concerned about their health and the environment.
- Frustrated battling allergies to gluten, foods, dust, chemicals, pollen.
- Overwhelmed with choosing the best products for their body, home, and office.
- Unsatisfied with their relationships with the men and women in their life and are ready to transform them into satisfying, happy partnerships.
- Standing at a Career Crossroad.
- Preparing to start a family and want a healthy baby.
- Seeking solutions for aging, more energy, and a good night’s sleep!
Are any of these an issue or problem for you? Would it make sense for us to spend several minutes together to discuss your needs and how HealthyHighway can meet them? As a Healthy Lifestyle Coach with an emphasis on allergies and wellness, Leesa teaches her clients to make informed choices and enables them to make needed changes for a Happy Healthy Lifestyle. What you eat, what products you use ~ on your body and in your home and office, how you talk to yourself ~ it all matters!
I look forward to helping YOU Live a Happy Healthy Life! Remember, Excellent Health is found along your way, not just at your destination.
Leesa A. Wheeler
Member International Association for Health Coaches
ring ~ 770-393-1284
write ~ email@example.com
visit ~ www.healthyighway.org
coach, consult, contact ~ www.healthyhighway.org/contact.html
(Don’t live in Atlanta? Not a problem! We do virtual coaching worldwide!)
join our mailing list ~ www.healthyhighway.org
chcws ~ www.chews4health.com/Leesa
enjoy ~ www.chewcolat.com
follow ~ www.twitter.com/HealthyHighway
learn ~ www.healthyhighway.wordpress.com
join ~ www.google.com/+LeesaWheeler
skpe ~ healthyhighway