“Have blueberries whenever you are low – destiny will change and you will be high.” Adam Voichester
6 Top Health Benefits of Blueberries
1. More antioxidants per serving than all other fruits, vegetables, spices and seasonings.
Antioxidants are compounds in foods that neutralize chemicals called free radicals (unstable molecules), produced by oxidation in the human body. Antioxidants found in foods protect your cells from the effects of free radicals. Free radicals are produced when your body digests your food for energy and by environmental toxins. They can damage cells; have been linked to conditions such as heart and liver disease, cancer and weakened immune system.
2. Great for the Brain – They Improve Memory.
Blueberry juice improves memory in older adults. This is good news for us baby boomers!
“When it comes to brain protection, there is nothing quite like blueberries, call the blueberry the brain berry,” says Dr. James Joseph, at the USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University.
3. Anti-Cancer Benefits.
Studies with blueberries have found that breast cancer, colon cancer, esophageal cancer, and cancers of the small intestine were reduced. These studies were on human cells or laboratory animals so we are still waiting for more research, but so far research points to astounding healing powers. Good news is there is an increasing percentage of blueberry research focusing on anti-cancer benefits.
4. Good for the Heart.
Much research has shown how good blueberries are for the heart. “Women who ate at least three servings of blueberries and strawberries per week had fewer heart attacks. Blueberries and strawberries contain high levels of compounds that have cardiovascular benefits.”
5. Reduces Risk of Diabetes. One of the antioxidants found in blueberries, anthocyanins which give them their blue color has been found to lower risk of Type 2 diabetes. People who ate two or more servings of blueberries weekly reduced their risk of developing diabetes by 23 percent in one study. Blueberries are low on the Glycemic Index, so people with diabetes can easily consume them.
6. Help with Weight Loss. Want to activate those fat burning genes? Blueberries can do that with the catechins found in them. Eating foods full of catechins will double total weight loss, according to research at Tufts University. Blueberries may even help reduce belly fat.
Full of Nutrition!
Blueberries contain vitamin C, B complex, vitamin E, vitamin A, copper, selenium, zinc, iron, magnesium, manganese and potassium.
“When any lagged behind, the cry of ‘blueberries’ was most effectual to bring them up.” Henry David Thoreau
- Blueberries were called “star berries” by Native Americans because the five points of blueberry blossoms make a star shape. Also, they believed that the ‘Great Sprit’ created the berries to feed their hungry children during famine.
- The Shakers made the blue paint for the woodwork on their houses from sage blossoms, indigo, blueberry skins & milk.
- The U.S. is the world’s largest producer of blueberries. If all the blueberries grown in North America in one year were spread out in a single layer, they would cover a four-lane highway from New York to Chicago.
- Blueberries are the second most popular berry in the US. Their consumption has more than doubled within the last 6 years. Does this mean more people are aware of their benefits?
It’s best to eat organic blueberries. Most U.S. grown blueberries can have high levels of pesticide residue that could affect liver, and other body functions. Blueberries are in the top fifteen list of crops with the most pesticides, according to the Environmental Working Group.
Blueberries are the least perishable of all the berries.
By Diana Herrington
Would feeling fantastic every day make a difference in your life?
Healthy Highway is a Healthy Lifestyle Company offering Lifestyle Solutions for a Happy Healthy You! We help people who are…
- Wanting Work Life Balance.
- Needing Stress Relief.
- Concerned about their health and the environment.
- Frustrated battling allergies to gluten, foods, dust, chemicals, pollen.
- Overwhelmed with choosing the best products for their body, home, and office.
- Unsatisfied with their relationships with the men and women in their life and are ready to transform them into satisfying, happy partnerships.
- Standing at a Career Crossroad.
- Preparing to start a family and want a healthy baby.
- Seeking solutions for aging, more energy, and a good night’s sleep!
Are any of these an issue or problem for you? Would it make sense for us to spend several minutes together to discuss your needs and how HealthyHighway can meet them? As a Healthy Lifestyle Coach with an emphasis on allergies and wellness, Leesa teaches her clients to make informed choices and enables them to make needed changes for a Happy Healthy Lifestyle. What you eat, what products you use ~ on your body and in your home and office, how you talk to yourself ~ it all matters!
I look forward to helping YOU Live a Happy Healthy Life! Remember, Excellent Health is found along your way, not just at your destination.
Leesa A. Wheeler
Member International Association for Health Coaches
ring ~ 770-393-1284
write ~ firstname.lastname@example.org
visit ~ www.healthyighway.org
coach, consult, contact ~ www.healthyhighway.org/contact.html
(Don’t live in Atlanta? Not a problem! We do virtual coaching worldwide!)
join our mailing list ~ www.healthyhighway.org
chcws ~ www.chews4health.com/Leesa
enjoy ~ www.chewcolat.com
follow ~ www.twitter.com/HealthyHighway
learn ~ www.healthyhighway.wordpress.com
join ~ www.google.com/+LeesaWheeler
skpe ~ healthyhighway