Flu season in the U.S. tends to peak between December and February, so now is the perfect time to start including more immune-boosting foods in your diet. Vitamins–especially beta carotene and vitamins C, D, and E–help your body resist illness. Folate, manganese, riboflavin, iron and zinc can also help your body fight off the winter ick.
Of course, no diet is going to make you 100 percent cold–and flu-proof, but eating these foods for immune health may help you avoid sickness. If you do get sick, arming your body with the nutrients it needs can help you get better faster.
10 Foods for Immune Health
1. Pumpkin – Pumpkin and other yellow or orange winter squash provide a good mix of vitamin A along with soluble fiber, folate, manganese, and riboflavin to help boost your immune system. Read more about pumpkin and immune health here!
2. Spinach – A cup of cooked spinach provides 5 percent of your daily zinc requirements. It also has 377 percent of your vitamin A, 29 percent of your vitamin C, and 19 percent of your vitamin E. Spinach is very high in iron, but it also contains a compound that makes it hard for your body to absorb. Look to other foods for your immune-boosting iron.
3. Pumpkin Seeds – When you cook up that immune-boosting pumpkin, roast the seeds for extra cold and flu-fighting power. An ounce of roasted pumpkin or winter squash seeds has 19 percent of your zinc requirements.
4. Berries – Blueberries are a superfood rich in vitamin C and other antioxidants that help protect your body from illness.
6. Beans – A cup of cooked black beans provides 13 percent of your daily zinc. Black beans – and other beans – are also a good source of manganese, folate, iron, and soluble fiber.
7. Blackstrap Molasses – Molasses is rich in immune-boosting iron. Maybe that’s why molassesy gingerbread is such a popular fall and winter flavor!
8. Broccoli – Cruciferous vegetables like broccoli are good sources of vitamins A, C, and E. They’re also a good source of folate, manganese, and iron. Broccoli in particular, though has been shown to contain a compound called DIM that supports immune health.
9. Tea – You know that a steamy cup of tea helps soothe some of your cold and flu symptoms, but did you know that a cuppa could also help prevent illness? A 2003 study found that tea contains compounds that help your body fight germs and viruses.
10. Kombucha – Kombucha contain probiotics which help support your body’s immune system. If kombucha isn’t your speed, try adding other fermented foods like kimchi, sauerkraut, or miso to your diet this fall and winter. Leesa’s favorite is GT Dave’s Raw Organic Mutli-Green Kombucha!
Leesa also recommends always choosing organic!
Would feeling fantastic every day make a difference in your life?
Healthy Highway is a Healthy Lifestyle Company offering Lifestyle Solutions for a Happy Healthy You! We help people who are…
- Wanting Work Life Balance.
- Needing Stress Relief.
- Concerned about their health and the environment.
- Frustrated battling allergies to gluten, foods, dust, chemicals, pollen.
- Overwhelmed with choosing the best products for their body, home, and office.
- Unsatisfied with their relationships with the men and women in their life and are ready to transform them into satisfying, happy partnerships.
- Standing at a Career Crossroad.
- Preparing to start a family and want a healthy baby.
- Seeking solutions for aging, more energy, and a good night’s sleep!
Are any of these an issue or problem for you? Would it make sense for us to spend several minutes together to discuss your needs and how HealthyHighway can meet them? As a Healthy Lifestyle Coach with an emphasis on allergies and wellness, Leesa teaches her clients to make informed choices and enables them to make needed changes for a Happy Healthy Lifestyle. What you eat, what products you use ~ on your body and in your home and office, how you talk to yourself ~ it all matters!
I look forward to helping YOU Live a Happy Healthy Life! Remember, Excellent Health is found along your way, not just at your destination.
Leesa A. Wheeler
Member International Association for Health Coaches
ring ~ 770-393-1284
write ~ firstname.lastname@example.org
visit ~ www.healthyighway.org
coach, consult, contact ~ www.healthyhighway.org/contact.html
(Don’t live in Atlanta? Not a problem! We do virtual coaching worldwide!)
join our mailing list ~ www.healthyhighway.org
chcws ~ www.chews4health.com/Leesa
enjoy ~ www.chewcolat.com
follow ~ www.twitter.com/HealthyHighway
learn ~ www.healthyhighway.wordpress.com
join ~ www.google.com/+LeesaWheeler
skpe ~ healthyhighway